Mental Skills & Mental Health in Sports & Exercise
This new programme has more flexible entry requirements (e.g. RPL) than the existing MSc in Sport, Exercise and Performance Psychology and also has the option of an exit award after 60 credits completed (e.g. Higher Diploma Award). This degree runs parallel to the existing programme which aligns to the Psychological Society of Ireland accreditation requirements. The purpose of this degree is to offer a pathway for those seeking to upskill on topic areas relating to mental skills and mental health in sport and the degree is not a qualification in psychology. It offers a grounding in research and application for those who seek further training to pursue roles that do not explicitly require a qualification in psychology (e.g. sports coaching, sports management etc.).
The core aims of the programme are to create an outstanding and distinctive learning experience through innovations in teaching (e.g. problem-based learning), and to promote a sound evidence-based approach for those engaged in a broad range of roles in sport, exercise and health contexts.
Entry to the programme will be based on the result of a written application with appropriate references (no interview required). Applicants require a minimum 2.2 Level 8 honours degree (NFQ or other internationally recognised equivalent) in the domain of sport science, psychology, sports coaching or sport management. RPL (Recognised Prior Learning) entry will be available for those without a related degree. Applicants must also satisfy the English Language Requirements of the University. Applicants whose first language is not English must provide evidence of either prior successful completion of a degree qualification taught through the medium of English or meet one of the criteria below (no longer than two years prior to application). Acceptable English Language qualifications include the following: TOEFL – 580 (paper based) or 90 (internet based)
• PM6162 Wellbeing and Work
• SS6072 Performance Psychology
• SS6092 Exercise Psychology & Mental Health
• SS6082 Motor Cognition: Understanding Action
• PS6042 Qualitative Research in Methods in Psychology OR
• PS6022 Advanced Empirical Psychology
• SS6113 Applied Positive Psychology
• SS6053 Psychological Skills Training for Sports Performance
• SS6103 Professional Practice & Ethics
• SS6123 Psychology Research Dissertation Development
• Professional Competencies
• SS6004 Research Dissertation in Sport, Exercise & Performance Psychology