Music - Ritual Chant & Song
Students take field trips to sites such as Lough Gur and Glenstal abbey to enrich their experience and academic knowledge of Ritual Chant and Song.
• Ritual Chant and Song Practicum 1
• Materials, Methods and Context for Western Chant 1
• Introduction to Fieldwork techniques
• Introduction to Ritual Studies
• Introduction to Somatics 1
Options: students can choose 1 option from the list below:
• Independent Study 1
• Colloquium 1
• Academic Literacies for International Postgraduate Students 1
• Professional Development for the Performing Arts
• Media Technologies for Performing Arts and Arts Research
• Critical Contexts of Arts Management and Cultural Policy
• Ritual Chant and Song Practicum 2
• Materials, Methods and Context for Western Chant 2
• Advanced Ritual Studies
• Introduction to Somatics 2
Options: students can choose 1 options from the list below:
• Independent Study 2
• Colloquium 2
• Academic Literacies for International Postgraduate Students 2
• Final Presentation
A primary degree in a suitable discipline with first or second class honours or an approved professional qualification (Primary Degree: Level 8 - National Qualifications Authority of Ireland).
An interview will be required in all cases, as well as an audition where necessary. Candidates may be required to submit additional audio visual and/or written material.
How to apply:
1. Choose your programme.
2. Check closing date for the programme.
3. Apply online at www.ul.ie
4. Have your supporting documentation ready to upload.
5. Pay the application fee (€35 online / €40 bank draft or cheque).
6. Submit your application.
What to include with your application
Qualification transcripts and certificates
A copy of your birth certificate (long document)
If your qualifications have been obtained in a country where English is an official language this will suffice
If this is not available, the following additional documents must be provided:
• English translation of your qualification(s)/transcripts
• English language competency certificate
For more information Click Here
Note: Due to Covid-19 restrictions, any interviews or auditions (as required by the Course Director) during the application process will now take place virtually.
1 year full-time.
Start Date: 09/Sep/2019
Post Course Info
The prime focus of the course is the development of performers so many past students have gone on to develop careers as traditional musicians. However, students have gone on to use skills acquired through this MA in a number of other fields including education (at primary, post-primary, secondary and tertiary levels), technology, arts management, etc.