Exhibitions provide a venue and opportunity for potential buyers to meet a wide range of sellers. Shows vary from those targeted at general consumers to huge industry events. Exhibition designers are responsible for the overall outlook of the event.
Few design agencies operate solely in the exhibition design field; they offer a wider range of services.
- Consulting clients about design requirements.
- Corresponding with clients.
- Collecting appropriate background and product information.
- Negotiating budgets and time scales.
- Producing sketches and three-dimensional computer images.
- Setting up and dismantling stands at locations.
Travel: visiting exhibition venues and nights spent away from home are necessary.
Working hours: can be long, particularly around deadlines.
Location: mostly in larger cities.
Although a degree is not essential, strong competition for vacancies makes relevant work experience and/or qualifications essential. Relevant subjects include design technology; art and design; interior design; or architecture.
The Crafts Council of Ireland offers development programmes and support for prospective designers at various levels.
Career events coming up