Tour managers utilise their love of travel to organise and accompany groups of holidaymakers on tours to a variety of Irish and overseas locations
As a tour manager it is your responsibility to make sure that travel arrangements run as smoothly as possible for groups of people whilst also providing practical support to your holidaymakers for the duration of their trip.
You must posses in-depth knowledge of a wide variety of locations especially the most popular tourist destinations in the country you are visiting. This will help as you may also have to act as a tour guide during the trip
- Accompany groups travelling by coach, or in some cases by car, boat, train or plane
- Check tickets and other relevant documents, seat allocations and any special requirements
- Help with passport and immigration issues
- Assist holidaymakers with check-in and settle them into their accommodation
- Communicate a range of information on itineraries, destinations and culture
- Inform passengers of arrival and departure times at each destination on the itinerary and ensure that all members of the group are back on the coach before departing from each stop
- Develop a specialist area of knowledge
- Organise entry to attractions and transport, such as car hire
- Ensure that the tour is running smoothly for individual members of the group
- Deal with emergencies, such as helping a holidaymaker who is ill or those needing to contact family members urgently
- Make contact in advance with places to stay or visit to check details and arrangements
- Liaise with hotels, coach companies, restaurants and other clients
- Advise about facilities, such as sights, restaurants and shops, at each destination
- Occasionally make accommodation bookings on proposed dates
- Organise and attend tourism events, conferences, workshops, seminars and exhibitions
- Write reports and maintain records
- Provide feedback after a tour as part of a debrief session
- Starting salaries for tour managers in full-time employment typically range from €17,000 to €22,000, plus board and lodging when on tour.
- Experienced tour managers can expect to earn between €28,000 and €33,000.
- Salaries for those at senior level or with extensive experience can be in excess of €30,000.
- business with languages
- modern languages
- travel, tourism, leisure studies