Farm managers are employed to manage and carry out duties associated with the day-to-day and long-term management of large commercial farms. It is their responsibility to ensure that the farm runs efficiently and profitably. Their day-to-day activities will depend on the type of farm being managed:
- Livestock (animals)
- Arable (crops)
- Mixed (animals and crops).
- Planning the running of the farm
- Setting budgets and production targets
- Buying and selling animals or produce
- Keeping records of livestock and/or crops and financial records
- Recruiting, training and supervising staff
- On smaller farms, doing practical work such as looking after livestock, driving tractors and other machinery, spreading fertiliser and harvesting crops.