Promotes products and services to customers and negotiates contracts with the aim of maximising sales profits.
The role of a sales executive or sales representative is to sell as many of their company's goods or services as possible. As such, they have a very important part to play in their company's success. They sell fast moving consumer goods (FMCGs) such as stationery, consumer durables like washing machines, industrial supplies like heavy machinery, computer systems software and services such as insurance. Customers can be business-to-business (B2B) or business-to-consumer (B2C) and include wholesalers, retailers, manufacturers, businesses and individuals.
- Identifying new markets and business opportunities and arranging meetings with potential customers
- Visiting potential customers for new business and developing and maintaining relationships
- Making accurate cost calculations to provide customers with quotations
- Negotiating the terms of an agreement with a view to closing sales
- Attending trade exhibitions, events and demonstrations to represent the employing organisation
- Advising on forthcoming product developments and discussing special promotions.