Checklist for choosing a course
Ten easy steps to help you find the right postgraduate course.
- Identify the type of programme you wish to follow – research or taught? Conversion course?
- Investigate the range of options available among those using relevant directories and websites.
- Consult your academic mentor, especially regarding your research interest.
- Find out about any funding options you can apply for.
- Check any closing dates you need to be aware of.
- Grades do matter – continue to pay attention to achieving the best result possible.
- Academic references count – you need to have someone who is highly supportive of your academic plans, especially for research applications.
- Application technique is important – a statement of purpose is increasingly required as an indicator of motivation.
- Talk to postgraduates in your own department and seek out people who are currently on your course of choice.
- Be prepared to persevere, persist and maybe compromise if you wish to succeed.
Career events coming up