Areas of work, specialisms and alternatives


22 Jun 2023, 13:22

Property careers for graduates: planning.

Feature image Planning

If you have work experience in dealing with planning matters you may be interested in specialising in planning. To become professional in this area you need an accredited postgraduate qualification in planning.

Planners work in local authorities or in planning and development consultancy companies. Local authority departments in the Republic of Ireland receive and decide upon planning applications for all types of projects, from small household applications to large-scale developments, and prepare policy and development plans.

Consultancy practices work for a range of clients, sometimes local authorities as well as private clients. This involves preparing plans and feasibility studies, submitting and negotiating planning applications, and assisting with design, often working with architects and surveyors.

gradireland editorial advice

This describes editorially independent and impartial content, which has been written and edited by the gradireland content team. Any external contributors featuring in the article are in line with our non-advertorial policy, by which we mean that we do not promote one organisation over another.

undefined background image

We've got you

Get the latest jobs, internships, careers advice, courses and graduate events based on what's important to you. Start connecting directly with top employers today.