What can I do with an international business and languages degree?
See where a degree in international business and languages can take you?
Skills developed in college
Your degree in International Business and Languages has provided you with competency in languages which have an important role to play in Ireland’s ability to trade with other countries. Fluency in languages are vital to the success of businesses dealing with the regions in which those languages are spoken. With the increasing globalisation of world markets and the dependency of the global economy on international trade, you will have developed linguistic skills, critical thinking skills, and necessary business skills.
In addition to this, you have developed a range of skills through your education, work experience and personal interests and achievements. Understanding what skills you have to offer and like to use can help you understand what you want in a career, as well as providing key information for job or further study applications.
In terms of securing a job, academic qualifications alone will not guarantee success. Evidence –based skills sections on your CV can demonstrate the broad range of qualities you have to offer employers. Here are some of the main skills you may have developed through studying International Business and Languages:
- Reading, writing, listening to and speaking in a foreign language. Effectively using reference materials such as grammars and dictionaries.
- Understanding and acceptance of different cultures, religions, economies, governments, and global issues. Appreciating the internal diversity and cross-cultural connectedness of cultures and showing curiosity and openness towards other cultures
- Understanding of the architecture of global organisations in terms of strategy, structure, operations, logistic, human resources, financial management, creativity, innovation, change, and decision making.
- Having an awareness of the business issues that affect specific industries and understanding the environment in which they operate in relation to stakeholder perspectives (customer, supplier, employer, employee, shareholder).
- Developing analytical, critical and specialist skills that can be used in a variety of contexts.
Types of employers/industry sectors
Some of the main types of employers / industry sectors in which graduates of your discipline work:
- Civil Service
- Diplomatic Service
- Institutions of EU
- European Commission
- European Parliament
- United Nations
- Universities and Colleges
- Training Centres
- Conference, exhibition, and event organisers
- Financial Institutions
- Insurance Companies
- Multinationals & SMEs
- Government departments & agencies
- Government Agencies
- Translation Agencies
- Tour Operators / Travel Agents/ Hotels
- NGOs, Charities & Foundations
- Publishers – books / magazines
- Advertising & PR agencies
- Market Research Companies
- Freight / Shipping Companies
- Accountancy and business service providers
- HR and recruitment agencies
Career options with your course (including job descriptions)
Some of the main occupations secured by graduates in your field include:
- Software Localisation
- Aid worker/humanitarian worker
- Travel agent
- Marketing Executive
- Recruitment Consultant
- Event Organiser
- Market Research Executive
- Sales Exec / Manager
- PR Officer
- HR Administrator
- Retail Manager
- Management Consultant
- International Investment Fund Manager
- Financial Adviser
Cv's and applications
For information on how to put together a great CV/Cover Letter or Application, click here
Some graduates find that their primary degree did not meet their expectations, either vocationally, academically or personally, and seek change career direction. Conversion courses offer the opportunity to diversify into another chosen career area while meeting the necessary entry requirements for that discipline. However, it should be noted that this is not the case for all disciplines e.g. disciplines such as science and engineering will require an undergraduate degree in that area.
Find out more about conversion courses here .
Are you considering further study or training? Click here here to find the course you need